Have you thought about sponsoring a child but stopped short because you’re not sure if your money really makes a difference? It’s not uncommon, but when you sponsor a child you really are having a direct impact on a child’s life.
By choosing to sponsor a child you’re doing so much more than just donating some money every month. You’re entering into a relationship with your sponsored child, one that brings many benefits for both the child and you.
The Benefits For The Child
Ultimately, when you sponsor a child you’re changing a child’s life in a very real way. These are just some of the benefits that the child enjoys when you sponsor a child.
- Receiving An Education. One of the biggest drivers of child poverty is a lack of access to education. Child sponsorship programmes work hard to build schools, train teachers and raise awareness of the importance of education in communities. This means that children can have improved life chances and the opportunity to break the cycle of poverty. An amazing benefit that you enable when you sponsor a child.
- Living A Healthy Life. In many of the world’s poorest countries access to adequate medical care is greatly restricted. This often means that children die from entirely preventable diseases. The money you give when you sponsor a child goes towards building medical centres and training staff, as well as funding educational programmes to raise awareness of specific illnesses and health problems. You’re also helping improve sanitation and access to clean water, which is one of the biggest factors in improving overall health and life expectancy.
- Feeling Protected. Sadly, in many developing nations children have few rights and are often subjected to violence and exploitation. When you sponsor a child you’re helping train people on child rights and helping campaign to protect children at both the community and national level. It also helps strengthen disaster preparedness and risk management, because during crises children are particularly vulnerable.
The Benefits For You
When you sponsor a child you also experience some wonderful benefits.
- Forming A Relationship With Your Sponsored Child. Don’t look on child sponsorship as simply a financial contribution. When you sponsor a child you will receive updates from them, including letters and photographs. You’ll get to see how you’re helping them directly. And you can and should write back to them, send photos of yourself and your family, and send them small gifts. Many child sponsors develop long lasting relationships with their sponsored child and some even visit them in their communities.
- Knowing You’re Doing Something Amazing. Without your contribution and commitment life for your sponsored child would be very different. When you sponsor a child you’re enabling profound life changes for the child and their community. And that really is something to be proud of.
- You’re Helping More Than One Person. Although you have a personal connection with your sponsored child, your donation goes into a fund that helps pay for projects in their community. So you end up helping dozens of other children too.
If you sponsor a child you’re committing to improving the lives of children who have few of the opportunities that we take for granted on a daily basis. You’ll be helping someone in desperate need and giving them a life they never dreamed of.
Sponsor a Child with Plan UK today.