We’re off out to a party for my friend’s 40th birthday this evening and we had a whole bunch of stuff in the fridge, including some chicken breasts, which needed eating by today, so I decided to try this little concoction of the various different things! I don’t know about you, but I hate going on a night out feeling bloated and full, so on the rare occasion that I go, we tend to eat our main meal at lunch time, so I’ve chucked all of this in the slow cooker at 9am, to be ready for around 1pm.
Here’s how I did it:
- 500g chicken breast
- Mushrooms (around half a punnet)
- One pack of unsmoked bacon lardons
- One tub of Philadelphia (or other cream cheese)
- Garlic powder
- Place the chicken breasts in the slow cooker
- Chop the mushrooms into quarters and layer on top of the chicken
- Brown the lardons in a pan until lightly golden then place in the slow cooker
- Sprinkle garlic powder over the chicken, bacon and mushrooms, a little or a lot depending on your taste (we like a lot!)
- Gently spread the cream cheese across the top of the rest of the ingredients
- Place the lid on the slow cooker and cook on low for 4 hours or high for 2 hours
- Serve with pasta or potatoes of your choice
Given the fact that this was basically just a “chuck it all in and hope for the best” recipe, it actually came out really well and was stupidly easy to make. The girls absolutely loved it (Sausage said “Mum, is this your secret sauce because it is DELICIOUS!”) and it’s definitely one that will make it into our regular rotation. We had ours with pasta as it was the quickest option for today, but it would also go really nicely with new potatoes or even mash and possbily some broccoli or asparagus on the side.