I have to say it: I am becoming a slow-cooker obsessive. Since Husband bought a Crock Potfor me about a month ago, I’ve cooked about a dozen meals in it, getting slightly more adventurous each time. Last night, I tried making dessert in it for the first time and I was so impressed with how easy it was and how well it turned out that I thought I’d share it with you. Behold, the LAVA CAKE!
What this picture is not showing you is that although it looks like a humble sponge cake, there is actually molten goodness inside (hence lava cake…), like a low-effort chocolate fondant, if you will. But, I cannot stress how easy this is to make.
Here’s what you’ll need:
1 package of chocolate sponge mix (we used Betty Crocker as it was all they had in the Co-Op at 4pm on a Saturday) plus the wet ingredients stated on the box (I think it’s eggs, oil and water)
1 package of Angel Delight (we used butterscotch and it worked SO well!) plus 300ml milk
Chocolate chips or chunks (I used a bag of milk and a bag of white chocolate chunks)
- Grease your slow cooker with a little oil spray or butter
- Mix up your cake batter and pour it into the slow cooker
- Mix up your Angel Delight, leave to thicken for 5 minutes and then pour directly on top of your cake batter in the slow cooker
- Sprinkle you chocolate chips evenly over the top of the mixtures
- Cook on high for 1.5 to 2 hours
- Serve with custard or ice cream and try not to make inappropriately lustful noises whilst eating.
It really is as simple as “chuck it all in and wait”, which is my favourite type of dessert. We got 6 massive portions out of ours, or 8 reasonable portions, and although it may not be the best looking dish once it’s served up, I’d be more than happy serving it to guests as it’s so damn tasty! I’m going to experiment with different flavours too; I’m thinking vanilla sponge and strawberry Angel Delight next time!
Have you made this before? What flavours did you use? Leave me a comment below!
(post contains affiliate link)