Well, its all happening. After I saw my consultant last week it was decided that my delivery date needed to be moved forward. A combination of 2.1 being large for her stage and my blood pressure deciding to go haywire means that, even at just under 37 weeks, its safer to have her in than out and the beauty of a planned c-section is that we have control over when that happens. I did not, however, expect to get a call from my Husband while in was driving to the hospital yesterday saying “it’s Monday. Your section has been moved to Monday!”.

After my planned appointment with my midwife, I had to take myself off to the maternity ward for a pre-op assessment and meeting with my anaesthetist so that I could have my section on Monday. In the midst of all of this, I kept thinking “its okay, I still have the weekend to sort everything out at home”.

Err. No.

As it turns out, having the baby before 39 weeks means that (just to hedge our bets) I have to be given a course of steroids which will ensure her lungs have matured enough by the time she’s born, at 36 weeks and 6 days. This would all be fine if I weren’t a diabetic but unfortunately the steroids can play havoc with sugar levels.

The upshot of all of this is that I’m stuck in hospital for the next two days. I’m on a constant infusion of insulin to keep my blood sugars regular and I’ve had a steroid injection today which will be repeated again tomorrow. My blood sugars will be taken hourly, and the infusion adjusted as it needs to be.

Happy Valentines Day to me, huh?

I shouldn’t complain. If anything, despite the fact that I miss Sausage, Husband and Chuck a ridiculous amount and that I’m sat on a crappy chair in the corner of a noisy ward, just knowing that everything is under control is a great comfort to me. My wonderful Husband, as well as his Mum and Aunt have been at home, getting the house spick and span and putting up the cot, ready for our homecoming and Sausage was so brave and strong this morning that even thought I could tell she was upset, she didn’t show it at all. I’m so grateful to them all and would definitely have completely lost it if it weren’t for them.

This is all such a massive contrast to last time, when it felt like everything was being left to chance and ultimately ended up in bad things happening. We have a plan. We know what’s happening and the baby and I are being looked after in a way that makes me feel a whole lot more comfortable than before. Okay, so I almost passed out when the doctor who put my canula in managed to allow about a cupful of my blood to spill everywhere, but that’s been the only major hiccup so far!

I can’t wait for Sunday, when I’ll be able to go home and spend a day with Husband, Sausage and Chuck before the new arrival is here but until then, I’ll be trying to see the silver lining and catch up on as much sleep as I can!